CA 318 Public Relations II--This information replaces the regular syllabus for this course.
Spring, 2013 Independent Study
Advanced study of persuasive communications with emphasis on design and execution of public relations campaigns, the role of the public information officer, development of the comprehensive information package, and creation of effective internal publications. Includes discussion of specific ethical issues of persuasive communications.
Textbook: Newsom, D., & Haynes, J. (2005). Public relations writing: Form and style. (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Upon successful completion of the course the student should be able to:
1. Explain the role of public relations in the social, economic, and political milieu.
2. Develop an understanding of professional standards and ethical responsibilities.
3. Survey professional opportunities in the Kansas City area.
4. Develop a professional quality portfolio, which meets entry level professional public relations standards.
5. Demonstrates writing and other communication skills in an array of professional contexts relevant to public relations (e.g., brochure, survey, newsletter).
See this website for details about each assignment and grading rubrics. http://ourwayit.com/CA318/
The core assessment for CA 318: Public Relations II will be a portfolio
Weekly Assignments and Due Dates (Due by Sunday, 11:59 PM Central time in the course dropbox.)
Due WK1 Email about Persuasion
WK2 Begin PR Plan
Due WK3 Brochure
Due WK4 Blog
Due WK5 News Release
Due WK6 Audio Ad
Due WK7 Research Survey
Due WK8 Newsletter
Due WK9 Webpage
Due Wk 10-Resume
Due Wk 11 Finished PR Plan
Due Wk 12 Core Assessment—Professional Public Relations Portfolio due.
Due Wk 13-Go to Career Planning and Placement for evaluation and feedback
Due Week 14—Submit your revised professional portfolio.
100 points total.
90-100 points or 90-100% equals A.
80-89.99 equals B.
70-79.99 equals C.
60-69.99 equals D.
Weekly assignments 5 points each x 10 weeks = Total 50 points
Core Assessment = Total 50 points
Week 12 submission 30 points
Week 13 Career Planning and Placement Feedback 10
Week 14 Revised Portfolio 10
Late Submission of Course
To keep their jobs, public relations professionals meet all deadlines on time. As preparation practice, the same professional behavior is expected in this course.